Size: 48,500 Sf | Value: $7.9 Million | Completion: 2012
Architecture, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Cost Estimating, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Structural Engineering
WalterFedy provided architectural, engineering, and construction-management services for an $7.9-million reconstruction of St. John’s Catholic Elementary School, which was opened in 1929 and expanded in 1946, 1954, 1962, and 1967.
In the first phase of the project we analyzed the costs and benefits of retaining portions of the existing facility (while demolishing the remainder) or redesigning from the ground up, seeking the best balance between heritage aspects and the long-term viability of the school. Working with a large stakeholder group, we arrived at a solution that opened up the cramped interior and introduce barrier-free access throughout, while retaining the original 1929 façade. We demolished 15,500 sq.ft. of the building, completed an addition of 24,000 sq.ft., and a renovation of 24,500 sq.ft for a final gross floor area of 48,500 sq.ft. Construction took place over 13 months, and St. John’s reopened at the end of the 2011-2012 school year.
While St. John’s is not a designated heritage building, the façade of the original building is considered culturally significant within the Kitchener community. WalterFedy’s close attention to the original elements of the building not only ensured that the project was completed cost-effectively, but also served to maintain the current atmosphere of St. John’s and preserve its historical connection to the surrounding area.