About Us and Our Integrated Approach
WalterFedy has big plans for growth and we need the best talent to make it happen. We are established enough to have deep local roots, yet nimble enough to aggressively pursue our bold goals. We believe investing in our talent is critical to achieving these goals.
At WalterFedy we believe in True Teamwork. We have architects, civil engineers, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, structural engineers, construction managers, energy management specialists, and facility management specialists under a single roof and we are an industry leader in our approach to integrated building services.
The Controller is accountable for the financial and managerial accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The position is also responsible for cash management and risk management. In addition, the Controller leads and is responsible to provide oversight to the accounting team. The Controller reports to the CEO.
In this role, we are seeking an individual who is growth-oriented towards both their career as well as the organization’s goals. If you are an experienced Controller looking for an opportunity for both short term and long-term growth opportunities, and you have identified a strong connection to our corporate culture and values of our firm, we would encourage you to read on, and would like to hear from you!
What You Will Do
- Oversee daily operations of the Accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure and staffing model adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives.
- Establish and implement short-term and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Build, develop, lead, mentor and manage the accounting team in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrate a team approach to interaction with your peers at the Management level.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Maintain integrity of all computer software used in the accounting department.
- Collaborate with Human Resources on updates or changes to group health and dental benefits and group pension plan.
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations (i.e., AEC Developments), especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Ensure all bank balances are maintained at an appropriate level to meet cash requirements.
- Ensure systems are in place to maximize the profitability of the company.
- Ensure systems are in place to minimize the risk of liability claims against the company.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure invoicing is completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Review credit and collection procedures with Business Unit Leaders and Project Managers
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Ensure payroll is processed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements on a period, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report and audit.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
- Administer the annual budget process, including managing the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Maintain the integrity of the work-in-progress (WIP) report.
- Prepare the annual cashflow projections.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Provide for a system of management cost reports.
- Provide management reporting to all Business Unit Leaders on a timely basis.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Comply with local, provincial and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
What We Need
- Accounting degree and accounting designation (CPA, CMA, CGA, CA)
- Minimum of 8-10 years of direct business experience.
- Applied knowledge of and current familiarity with relevant legislation.
- Exceptional communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Strong management, leadership, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Mature and sound judgment, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and investigative skills.
- Strategic and forward-thinking mindset
- Strong skills related to the use of Excel in report preparation.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary plus performance-based bonus.
- Three weeks’ vacation.
- Reimbursement of annual dues for professional organizations.
- Employee referral program.
- Employee social club – employees attend a variety of recreational and cultural events.
- Strong volunteer outreach to the community – we support Habitat for Humanity, Hockey Helps the Homeless, KidsAbility and many other organizations.
Working Conditions and Safety
Standard hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 4:00pm, and some overtime hours may be required to meet project and staff needs. Ability to travel away from the office is required to assist and attend on-site project meetings.
In this role you will work within the company safety policies and procedures, and adhere to any applicable federal or provincial legislation. You are responsible for the Supervisor responsibilities under the OHSA.
Why Join Our Team?
We offer challenging and rewarding careers, and are committed to integrity and business ethics, with safety as a top priority. We promote a healthy balance between our employees’ professional and personal lives, taking time to appreciate our work and celebrate our achievements. To learn more about our company visit our website at www.walterfedy.com/about
How to Apply
Please apply above or email email@example.com with your cover letter and resume, indicating the position you are applying for. Also, visit our website for other career opportunities: www.walterfedy.com.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of contact and provisions will be arranged.
Thank you for your interest in WalterFedy!
Location: Kitchener Office
675 Queen Street South, Suite 111
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2M 1A1