About Us and Our Integrated Approach
WalterFedy has big plans for growth and we need the best talent to make it happen. We're established enough to have deep local roots, yet nimble enough to aggressively pursue our bold goals. We believe investing in our talent is critical to achieving these goals.
At WalterFedy we believe in True Teamwork. We have architects, civil engineers, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, structural engineers, construction managers, energy management specialists, and facility management specialists under a single roof and we are an industry leader in our approach to integrated building services. This role will provide you with an opportunity to develop as a Surveyor while also allowing you to work towards developing a unique skill set as an expert in integrated design.
Reporting to the Field Review Team Leader within the Survey Business Unit, the Surveyor will be responsible for conducting engineering surveys and records all data by operating numerous types of survey equipment. This role requires effective organization, time management, and communication to effectively meet project deadlines. The Survey Business Unit and its team members are an integral component of the Civil Business Unit.
What We Love
- You are ambitious in your pursuit to be the best
- You get the importance of paying attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture
- You embrace progressive change, out-of-the-box thinking, and working in a high-energy environment
What You Will Do
- Responsible for the security, operation, care and maintenance of Trimble survey grade GPS equipment, Robotic Total Station instruments. These instruments along with various other equipment are used for engineering, construction, topographical, horizontal control and vertical survey control projects.
- Undertake fieldwork as a one-person survey crew (with assistance on jobs when necessary).
- Field Quality Control at all times is imperative; this would include completing control checks and field records for all project-related tasks.
- Field check base plans to confirm completeness and accuracy. Undertake additional survey work when necessary to confirm or augment data.
- Dip manholes, valve boxes, chambers and other structures, and document with forms and photos for use in base plan compilation and detailed design.
- Field check various installed structures and features during construction to confirm location, quantity, etc.
- Coordinate work with field staff, project manager, design and other staff involved in the project.
- Maintain survey equipment and field vehicle in good condition, and ensure scheduled maintenance and repairs are completed when and as required.
- Recommend equipment and software upgrades and replacements to improve the quality and efficiency of work.
- Assist with developing and improving survey planning and field procedures to enhance efficiency and final product.
- Assist with inspection on municipal or building construction sites when available.
- Other project tasks (quantity takeoff, CAD).
- Various tasks as assigned by the Field Team Leader.
What We Need
- Graduate of 2 or 3-year college Civil Technology program including courses in surveying.
- Eligible for certification by OACETT.
- Familiar with survey job estimation, planning and proposal preparation would be considered an asset.
- Experience in pre-engineering detail and topographic, construction layout and cross-section surveying.
- Experience in data download and upload, data processing and initial base plan preparation.
- Experience with Civil 3D, Word, Excel, Trimble software.
- Familiarity with inspection of municipal servicing construction would be considered an asset.
- Attention to detail and Quality control is imperative.
- Committed to Health and Safety
- Willingness to travel and to work all year round within changing weather conditions.
- Ability to manage your workload and think ahead to ensure optimum productivity for the project(s).
- Ability to work under supervision and independently with strong time and team management skills.
- Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license and is required.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and vacation plus performance-based bonus.
- Reimbursement of annual dues for professional organizations.
- Employee referral program.
- Employee social club – employees attend a variety of recreational and cultural events.
- Strong volunteer outreach to the community – we volunteer with Habitat with Humanity, Hockey Helps the Homeless, The Food Bank and many other organizations.
Working Conditions and Safety
Standard hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 4:00pm, and some overtime hours may be required from time to time. The ability to travel away from the office is required to assist and attend on-site project meetings. A driver’s license and a reliable vehicle is a must. In this role, you will work within the company safety policies and procedures, and adhere to any applicable federal or provincial legislation.
Why Join Our Team?
We offer challenging and rewarding careers, and are committed to integrity and business ethics, with safety as a top priority. We promote a healthy balance between our employees’ professional and personal lives, taking time to appreciate our work and celebrate our achievements. To learn more about our company visit our website at www.walterfedy.com/about
How to Apply
Please apply on our website or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter and resume, indicating the position you are applying for. Also, visit our website for other career opportunities: www.walterfedy.com.
If you are an applicant with disabilities and require accommodations, please let us know at the time of contact and provisions will be arranged.
Thank you for your interest in WalterFedy!
Location: Kitchener Office
675 Queen Street South, Suite 111
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2M 1A1