About Us and Our Integrated Approach
WalterFedy has big plans for growth and we need the best talent to make it happen. We are established enough to have deep local roots, yet nimble enough to aggressively pursue our bold goals. We believe investing in our talent is critical to achieving these goals.
At WalterFedy we believe in True Teamwork. We have architects, civil engineers, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, structural engineers, construction managers, energy management specialists, and facility management specialists under a single roof and we are an industry leader in our approach to integrated building services.
The Business Unit Leader (BUL) – Contract Administration and Field Review (CAFR) is responsible for two main functions: management of the practice from a business and leadership perspective, and fostering the development of the profession. In this role, you will support the development of the CAFR group as well as Designers and Project Managers from the other Business Units and Design Disciplines.
The BUL will leverage their expertise in contract administration and field reviews, combined with their ability in leading others to enable the CAFR team to achieve demonstrated excellence in profitable project execution, risk management for the firm and business management of the profit centre. BULs require the ability to provide exceptional service to internal and external clients with a fully integrated and forward-looking approach.
The BUL- CAFR is responsible for establishing and developing a strategic plan for the Business Unit (BU) that is aligned with WalterFedy’s core values and based on balancing customer service, quality, risk management, efficiency and profitability. The BUL is responsible for the alignment of the strategic plan with day to day project implementation.
The BUL is responsible for overall project performance during the contract administration phase in accordance with the consultant’s roles and responsibilities during the project delivery cycle as mandated by the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) and the Association of the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO). The BUL will also be committed to creating un-biased work environment among the CAFR team that will contribute to the success of all stakeholders in the project delivery process including Owners, Consultants and Contractors. The BUL shall ensure an ongoing CAFR team mindset towards successful project delivery and added value.
The BUL – CAFR reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
What We Love
- You are relentless in your pursuit to be the best.
- You pay attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture.
- You embrace progressive change, out-of-the-box thinking, and working in a high-energy environment.
What You Will Do
The BUL is responsible for the following:
- Coordination of the operations of the BU, ensuring horizontal collaboration with other BUs.
- Identifying risks and developing risk mitigation strategies affecting the BU.
- Participating in the Management Team, and providing feedback and input on areas affecting the strategic plan, and meeting the corporate objectives.
- Responsible for the financials of the BU, including establishing and managing BU revenue and profit budgets and targets.
- Responsible for the performance of staff on their team through continuous evaluation, development and growth strategies.
- Recruit new team members as required.
- Responsible for leveraging staff skills to further develop WalterFedy service delivery in the areas of quality, risk management and efficiency.
- Communicate corporate objectives and initiatives clearly and frequently, ensuring the BU is connected to the overall corporate vision.
- Facilitate and manage the operations of the BU including the integrated interface with internal and external clients.
- Ensures that all practice activities and operations are carried out in compliance with applicable regulations and laws governing business operations with regards to the Practice Areas.
- Continually improve staff performance in terms of technical capability and production efficiency as it relates to employee satisfaction and company profit.
- Responsible for oversight of the development and implementation of the all applicable standards, processes and manuals for the BU.
Quality (in conjunction with PMs, QA and Practice Leaders)
- Oversee and promote quality control procedures related to the BU. Help identify and assist other BUs with their quality control procedures.
- Responsible for managing the development of the BU Quality Control systems and processes with the objective of higher quality service delivery and increased efficiency.
- Develop short and long-range business objectives and targets for the BU to meet the corporate strategic plan.
- Responsible for the business development strategies and implementation for the BU by supporting RFQ or similar submissions prepared by other BUs.
- Approve and review contracts, pricing, estimating and scoping for proposed projects affecting the BU.
- Represent the company both within and external to the organization promoting brand awareness, values and reputation.
- The ability to provide positive impact in the industry and community through close interaction with external stakeholder including project owners and contractors.
What We Need
- Experience in managing a BU/profit centre is an asset.
- Technical experience in the following areas:
- Strong and demonstrated experience in all aspects of the different project delivery phases with focus on Contract Administration and the various types of construction and design contracts and project delivery methods.
- Strong knowledge of CCDC, ACEC, OAA and CCA forms of contract.
- Construction, Architectural or Engineering College Diploma or University Degree combined with minimum 15 years of progressively responsible experience in all aspects of project delivery with focus on construction, contract administration and field reviews.
- Strong understanding of Architectural/Structural and/or Mechanical/Electrical building systems, materials and methods.
- Strong and demonstrated experience in risk assessment and management in the context of business management and design/construction contracts.
- Strong ability to perform quality reviews on design and construction documents at various stages of project delivery, and experience in providing critical review on constructability.
- Excellent understanding of all governing legislation and regulations, including but not limited to the Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) and other related regulations.
- Understand and advise WalterFedy and Owners on potential risks and issues related to projects.
- Strong knowledge of construction related timelines for projects, and be able to advise and protect WalterFedy and the Owner from financial risk associated with cost overruns and delay claims etc.
- Strong oral and written skills.
- Strong and effective organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex construction-site related issues and disputes.
- Sound estimating understanding for evaluating change requests and other contractor claims.
- Previous experience using contract administration and/or project management software.
- People leadership and management experience, including strong and demonstrated experience in managing, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Ability to effectively demonstrate and instill WalterFedy’s integration philosophy.
- Strong business management and operations experience.
- Exceptional internal and external client focus.
- Ability to effectively manage a complex and developing business environment.
- Strategic planning and analysis.
- Meeting established Business Unit revenue and profit targets.
- Effective management of established budgets.
- Meeting strategic growth plan in specified market sectors established for the BU.
- Demonstrated continuous improvement in BU quality, including documentation and execution.
- Ability to provide full service to internal and external clients by ensuring required skills and experience are available within the BU.
- Demonstrated integration within the team as well as with internal and external clients.
- People development.
- Inclusivity / collaboration with other BUs in cross-selling efforts.
CHARGEABLE TIME TARGET
What We Offer
- Competitive salary plus performance-based bonus.
- Three weeks’ vacation.
- Reimbursement of annual dues for professional organizations.
- Employee referral program.
- Employee social club – employees attend a variety of recreational and cultural events.
- Strong volunteer outreach to the community – we support Habitat for Humanity, Hockey Helps the Homeless, KidsAbility and many other organizations.
Working Conditions and Safety
Minimum standard hours are 37.5 hours/week. Overtime hours will be required to meet project and staff needs. Ability to travel away from the office is required, assisting with and/or attend on-site project meetings and attending networking events.
This role works within overall company safety policies and procedures, adheres to any applicable federal or provincial legislation, and holds “Supervisor” responsibilities under the OHSA.
Why Join Our Team?
We offer challenging and rewarding careers, and are committed to integrity and business ethics, with safety as a top priority. We promote a healthy balance between our employees’ professional and personal lives, taking time to appreciate our work and celebrate our achievements.
How to Apply
Please apply using the link at the top of this page, or email email@example.com with your cover letter and resume, indicating the position you are applying for.
Thank you for your interest in WalterFedy!
Location: Kitchener Office
675 Queen Street South, Suite 111
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2M 1A1