Role At A Glance
Reporting to the Survey Manager, the Senior Surveyor is fully responsible for performing site engineering surveys including as-built, topographic, quantity as well as some layout. This role requires effective organization, time management, and communication to effectively meet project deadlines. The Survey Team works closely with the Field Team and is an integral component of the Civil Business Unit.
You’ll Enjoy This Role If
- You are detail-oriented and work well independently
- You enjoy being part of a team that works together and pride yourself on achieving quality deliverables
- You find satisfaction working outdoors and providing a solid technical foundation for projects to build on
What You Will Do
- Responsible for the security, operation, care and maintenance of Trimble survey grade GPS equipment, and Robotic Total Station instruments. These instruments along with various other equipment are used for engineering, construction, topographical, horizontal control and vertical survey control projects.
- Undertake field work as one person survey crew (with assistance on jobs when necessary).
- Field Quality Control at all times is imperative; this would include completing control checks and field records for all project-related tasks.
- Field check base plans to confirm completeness and accuracy. Undertake additional survey work when necessary to confirm or augment data.
- Dip manholes, valve boxes, chambers and other structures, and document with forms and photos for use in base plan compilation and detailed design.
- Field check various installed structures and features during construction to confirm location, quantity, etc.
- Coordinate work with field staff, project managers, design and other staff involved in the project.
- Maintain survey equipment and field vehicle in good condition, and ensure scheduled maintenance and repairs are completed when and as required.
- Recommend equipment and software upgrades and replacements to improve the quality and efficiency of work.
- Assist with developing and improving survey planning and field procedures to enhance efficiency and final product.
- Assist with inspection on municipal or building construction sites when available.
- Other project tasks (quantity takeoff, CAD).
- Various tasks as assigned by the Survey Manager.
What You Bring to the Table
- Graduate of 2 or 3-year college Civil Technology program including courses in surveying.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience doing topographic surveys with GPS and total station survey equipment
- Eligible for certification by OACETT.
- Familiar with survey job estimation, planning and proposal preparation would be considered an asset.
- Experience in pre-engineering detail and topographic, construction layout and cross-section surveying.
- Experience in data download and upload, data processing and initial base plan preparation.
- Experience with Civil 3D, Word, Excel, Trimble software.
- Familiarity with inspection of municipal servicing construction would be considered an asset.
- Attention to detail and Quality control is imperative.
- Committed to Health and Safety
- Willingness to travel and to work all year round within changing weather conditions.
- Ability to manage your own workload and think ahead to ensure optimum productivity for the project(s).
- Ability to work under supervision and independently with strong time and team management skills.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
Life at WalterFedy
As one of Southwestern Ontario’s leading integrated architecture, engineering, and construction firms, WalterFedy plays a leading role in shaping the way our communities feel and function – it’s a beautiful responsibility.
Our ambition goes beyond great design; we’re here to enhance the world around us. To make it happen, we need a team of agile, ambitious, and big-picture thinkers who share our drive to harness our collective talents to do something bigger.
Our team is made up of some of the industry’s best architects; civil, electrical, mechanical and structural engineers; technologists; energy and carbon specialists; asset and facility management specialists; construction professionals; and corporate services professionals. We strive daily to question the ordinary, infuse everything we do with creativity, and challenge our industry to redefine what’s possible.
Join us as we move past working for a living, and toward building better communities with smart, influential design.
How to Apply
Please apply here or use the link at the top of this page. You will be redirected to our internal application platform.
WalterFedy strives to create a culture of inclusivity and diversity. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including those from groups traditionally underrepresented in the workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity hiring practice and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, creed, national origin, citizenship, status, age, sex, gender identity/expression, marital or domestic partnership status, or disability.
Should you require an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-576-2150.
Thank you for your interest in WalterFedy!